Sunday, April 13, 2014

Tales from the First Grade: Once Upon A Time

Wow, I haven't blogged in a year and a half! My poor neglected blog. Other forms of social media offer the opportunity to share short thoughts or photos much quicker than blogging. I'll try to do better, but no promises! Now, for today's post.

We just finished our fairy tales unit in my first grade classroom. As you know, every good fairy tale begins with the phrase, "Once Upon A Time...". I asked my students to write their own fairy tale that began with "Once Upon A Time". Here's how that simple phrase translates to first graders:

One soponotime
Once a pud a time
Ones a pond a time
Wisupnutime
Once a ponutime
Wunsuponatime
Ounts a punll time
Onesopotuntime

As you can see, there are many variations, and most of them become one word instead of two!

No comments: