Thursday, June 2, 2011

Book Review: Radical by Davd Platt

In this book, David Platt asks the question, "Is He worth it? Do we really believe he is worth abandoning everything for? Do you and I really believe that Jesus is so good, so satisfying, and so rewarding that we will leave all we have and all we own to find our fullness in him?"

The truth is most Christians in America would want to say, "Yes! He's absolutely worth it!". But are we living like he's worth it? We are living the American dream but not walking out our faith like Jesus. We give our tithes (some of us anyway) and put money in the offering to support missions. We do that while sitting in our million dollar churches with all the comforts we've come to expect in America. We have beautiful seating areas and stages. All the while people all over the world are meeting in shacks and hidden basements risking their lives to worship. They don't have nice church clothes, sound systems, media shout and LCD projectors. They have their faith and trust in God.

Even more disturbing is the thought of all the people that have not been reached. They haven't heard the gospel. It's easy to sit in our comfortable churches and say ,"someone should do something".

This book is a call to live differently. It's a call to scale back so we can give more. So we can reach more people. At the end of the book Platt urges the reader to join The Radical Experiment - "a one year journey in authentic discipleship that will transform how you live in a world that desperately needs the Good News Jesus came to bring".

The theme of this book reminds me of "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. Both books have challenged me and caused to really examine what I'm doing for the cause of Christ.

Full disclosure: I received my copy to of this book free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
You can rate my review of this book here.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I have to admit, I've been afraid - yes, AFRAID - to read this book, because a cousin of mine did and ended up moving her family to Haiti to be missionaries.

And yes, typing that out sounded as silly to me as it probably does to God.

Good review; maybe, just maybe I'll let go of my missionary fears and pick it up!