Monday, May 30, 2011

Divine appointment - Poolside!

I'm so excited to tell you about my divine appointment at the pool this morning!

I went to the pool this morning thinking I would go early and beat the Memorial Day rush (which I did). Before leaving I was going to take my Kindle to read but felt like I should take the new book I'm reading for the "Blogging for Books" program. It's a book I've started but it's a little deep for poolside reading.

Anyway, I took my book, Radical (review coming soon), and headed to the pool. I was the only one there for about 45 minutes (ah, sweet bliss). Then a girl came up and was having trouble getting into the gate (it's a safety gate and it's tricky if you're not familiar). She called out to me and told me she just moved in and hadn't been to the pool yet. I politely told her how to operate it and went back to reading.

She asked if anyone was sitting in the chairs beside me (it was the best place for sun). I told her no. I really felt like I was supposed to talk to her and even talk about the book I was reading. I wasn't really sure how to go about that (read, I wasn't wanting to interrupt my relaxing pool time to possibly talk about God to some girl that I don't know and probably doesn't want to hear about God anyway!). This doesn't happen to me often but I know when the Holy Spirit is prompting me to do something.

I made some casual small talk with her about being new to the area and such. Then I went back to reading. I was trying to figure out what else to say to her when she saw the cover of my book (which I was purposefully not hiding) and asked, "Are you reading "Radical?!". I was shocked! Divine appointment time! Here goes the conversation I knew I was supposed to have...remember I didn't even want to take this book to the pool!

Turns out a friend of hers gave her that book to read a few weeks ago. She's only read the first 2 chapters and then packed it to move. She told me she cried through the first chapter. We discussed the book which led to conversations of helping the hurting and churches. She shared with me that she is a relatively new believer. She's been saved for about a year and a half. Her mother is a pastor and her father is an atheist! WOW! That makes for an interesting childhood! I asked her if she had found a church in town. She is going to visit one that has connections with the church she attended before she moved first. I told her she's welcome to come to church with me if she'd like to try it.

I'm not sure what come out of this meeting but I have no doubt it was God ordained. She offered to let me borrow the book she was reading at the pool when she finished. All I know is her first name, her apartment number, that she just ran a 5K to support the cause to stop sex trafficking in Atlanta, and she loves God. I hope to meet up with her again soon.

1 comment:

DebbieP said...

Wow that's great! The Holy Spirit allowed you to be a part of God's plan and I think that's cool! Who knows what will come of it!