Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tales from the 1st grade: Welcome to my world

I haven't written much about this school year. I assure you that it's not because I've had a lack of material! This class is the most challenging group I've had. Now that I've had time to adjust to the challenges I've found ways to enjoy the absolute hilarity that ensues in my class on a daily basis. (Trust me, it took a few weeks for me to see and appreciate the humor). Here's a glimpse of my day:

8:00 am - Student goes under desk to get something she dropped.
8:03ish: Student begins wailing because her head is stuck! It was indeed wedged between 2 desks. I'm still not sure how that happened.

8:15 - I remind students to go to the bathroom before they go to specials. One student replies, "I'm going to have to poo when I get to specials". I say, "You need to go now instead of waiting". He replies, "But my poo is not ready yet (as he rubs his belly). It needs to sit a while longer!".

12:00 - Student returns from lunch with a chicken bone (from lunch) in his pocket. He has washed the bone and is very excited to take it home to show his parents. This student is one of the challenges I spoke of at the beginning of the post. So, instead of fighting him over the chicken bone I agree to let him keep it (That's called 'choosing your battles'!). During math he began acting out. After several attempts to redirect him I finally said, "I'm going to take your chicken bone if you don't start making good choices right now!". I was really hoping no one in the hallway heard that statement! I mean REALLY?! My behavior management plan now includes negotiating possession of A CHICKEN BONE?!?

Don't you wish you spend a day in my class? =D

1 comment:

DebbieP said...

Wow Rach, he is a challenge for sure. I am praying for you as God can intervene and turn this year into the best ever!

Dear Heavenly Father, I pray for Rachel. Lord thank you that You have provided this teaching job for her and You have allowed the children to be assigned to her class. Lord please equip her and give her the strength she needs daily to teach these children and deal with the challenges. Satan in you have no authority here in Rachel's life or classroom. Leave in Jesus name.
AMEN!