Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Book Review: The Voice of the Psalms

One of my favorite books of the bible is Psalms. So, I was really excited to receive and read this version of The Psalms from Thomas Nelson Publishers. After reading it I have mixed feelings about this version.

Things I liked:
This is kind of "The Message" meets "The Amplified Bible" (both of which I am a huge fan. The language is more contemporary and lends itself to an easy read. I like that includes several different reading plans. It would make a nice daily devotional.

Things I didn't like:
If you are not using this as a "devotional" book then I feel like it can be a bit difficult to naviagate. While I like the commentary and footnote approach (as used in The Amplified Bible) it kind of got in the way of reading the actual Psalm. Another thing that I didn't love was the some of the language. While it does make for an easier and culturally relvant read it offers too much emotionalism. I also didn't love the fact that they replaced "Lord" with "Eternal One". Albeit HE is the Eternal One but I don't see how changing the wording enahnces it's relevance.

Here's a sample:
Psalm 23:1-3 - The Eternal One is my shepherd. He cares for me always. He provides for me rest in rich, green fields beside streams of refreshing water. He washes my fears; He makes me whole again, steering me off worn, hard paths to roads where truth and righteousness echo His name.

Two Thumbs up for use as a resource or devotional.
One thumb up for use as a primary bible translation.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Good review! I like how you could pinpoint just what made it a good/bad choice for you, and gave an example of what you were talking about.