Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Book Review: The White Horse King


This novel, The White Horse King, documents the life of England's first king, Alfred the Great. Admittedly I don't usually lean toward historical biographies but I decided to give this one a read.

The book is filled with facts about the life of Alfred the Great. He is not someone that I knew much about. I did find the stories of what he did for his kingdom (i.e. He changed the roadways and legal codes. He also restarted Christian worship and learning about God.)

The author transitions back and forth between the story and offering historical facts. It was sometimes hard to stay focused because of that. There were also times that while offering interesting facts I found myself becoming bored and wanting to skip ahead.

If you are into history and biographies then I'd recommend this book for you. If that's not really your thing, I don't think this book will cause you to become a lover of historical biographies.

If you'd like to purchase a copy for yourself click here.

No comments: