Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Card Etiquette 101!

Every year I send LOTS of Christmas cards. There are a couple of reasons for that:

1) Several years ago I went to church with a family that home schooled their 7 children. They used the Christmas cards people sent them and prayed for the people who sent them. I'm all about getting as much prayer as possible so I started sending them a card every year!

A couple of years later I realized that I was having to delete people off my list because of divorce, suicide, death...It made me sad and I was burdened. So, I started printing an extra copy of my list and praying for everyone who I sent cards to. (P.S. I wrote a blog on my myspace page explaining what I was doing. I told anyone that wanted to added to my list to send me their address. The invitation is now open to you dear readers).

2) I LOVE getting hand written letters in the mail! Letter writing is a lost art in this e-mail/social networking age. Just last month I received a handwritten letter from my pastor. It was really special to me that he took the time. I need to write more often.

3) The more cards I send the more I get. Christmas cards bring me joy...usually.

Today, I received one that did NOT bring joy! Thus, the title and purpose of this little post!

Every year I send a card to the lady that lived next door to me growing up. When I was young I spent a lot of days sitting on her porch, playing with her grandson, and learning (sort of) how to crochet. The older I got the more I really didn't want to go visit. She would always make negative comments about my weight ad generally annoying, nosy comments about my life.
Despite all that I always send her a Christmas card. A few years ago she moved to Florida to live in an assisted living home and be near her son. I got her new address and continue to send her cards. Just so she knows I'm thinking of her (and because I'm really that awesome...LOL). ANYWAY, I mailed her a week ago. I wrote a short paragraph wishing her a Merry Christmas ad letting her know I was thinking of her. I send about 100 cards now so I don't write long narratives. Today, I got a card from her. Inside was a post it note that read..."Why didn't you tell me what's going on in your life. Are there no prospects for you to get married anytime soon".
SERIOUSLY???!!! No Merry Christmas. Thanks for the card. Thinking of you. Still meddling and criticizing my life! GRRRRRRRRR!

I'm thinking she might be off the list next year! I have a year to pray about it (and for her).

4 comments:

Hampers said...

Nice blog. Like your Christmas card ettiquette. Expecting the sample of your art and creativity but didn't find any. Still your blog looks perfect. Keep up the good work. Have a wonderful Christmas.

DebbieP said...

Oh Rachel I am so sorry. I can't understand people like that. I also love Christmas cards and love to send them to people. I usually don't get many back because, I guess not that many people send cards any longer. But that doesn't stop me from trying to bless them anyway. So I really admire you for trying to bless this lady throughout the years, even when she doesn't bless you.

God bless you sister!

Melissa said...

Oh no she din't! At least you're sending some cards this year - it seems like Christmas has snuck up one me once again, and with two Christmas musicals and two people with the stomach flu in my house in two weeks, it ain't happening!

Debbie C. said...

Oh man, sorry about that! She sounds like just one of those "irregular people" in our lives that "bless" us on every occasion they get. I am glad you send cards, I am glad I am on your "list" (smile) and appreciate the effort you make. I agree that writing has become a lost art and I think it's still so important. Also, love the idea of praying for those who have sent you cards. We have done that in the past and need to bring this back as one of our special traditions. Great post!