Friday, September 11, 2009

Call it Out...

The following post is a re-post from Mark Batterson's blog. It's a really great post! I'm so grateful for the people who have "called it out" in my life. I wouldn't be doing the ministry I do if it wasn't for my pastor "calling it out". Thanks Rick!

Call it Out
by Mark Batterson @ http://www.evotional.com/

When I was a sophomore in High School I took a speech class. I decided to seize the opportunity to share my faith. Looking back, that speech was my first sermon. But here's the thing: the idea of ministry had never crossed my mind. Not even on my radar screen.

Without me knowing it, my mom sent that speech to my grandma. And my grandma showed it to her Bible Study leader. And her Bible study leader, whose name I don't even know, said: "Has Mark ever thought about ministry?" And the answer was "no"! I hadn't thought about it. But that question planted a seed.

That man, whose name I don't even know, saw something in me. He spoke into my life and called something out of me. Honestly, that question was left unanswered for years. It lay dormant. But when you speak into someone's life and call something out of them, you never how or when or where God is going to use it.

We need to speak prophetically into each other's lives. We need to call things out--gifts, passions, goals, dreams, desires. Isn't that what Jesus was so good at? He saw the martyr in a denier named Peter. He called it out by calling him "the Rock."

Prophets call things out of the people. It's also called leadership. I'm thinking of this today because I read a manuscript an aspiring author sent to me and he definitely has the gift. I emailed him back and called it out. I want to call the best out of others the way Jesus did. That's leadership. That's discipleship.

3 comments:

Debbie C. said...

This is really good! I thank the Lord for one particular lady in my life (I call her my surrogate mom) that literally "called out" many things in my life to get me where I am today. Thanks for this reminder.

Melissa said...

Part of what's important about calling things out in other people is that it's another reason for us to "consider" them - to think about others, instead of focusing on ourselves all the time. It's so important to be looking for the good in those around us, and seeking how they can be used by God.

Rachel said...

Great point Mel!