Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Book Review: Fearless

We live in a world full of fear. The media pumps fear into our homes during every news cast. We live in uncertain times. We go to our doctor to get medicine to reduce our anxiety, our fear. We can't sleep. We are constantly preparing for the worst. We've been satisfied to say, "That's just the way it is."

That is NOT the way it has to be.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

I am a huge fan of Max Lucado's books. If you look on my bookshelf you will find almost the complete selection of his works (children's books included). I have always loved his skillful writing style that brings bible stories to life and makes them relevant for today. His latest book does not disappoint.

In this book, he explores some of the things that we are living in fear of. He breaks down some common (and uncommon) fears and shares how we can have victory over them. Just being able to give the fear a name is part of the battle. You can't confront what you don't identify! Maybe you've been walking around with unexplained anxiety. You can't pin point what it is that you are afraid of but you know it's there. This book can help you identify, confront, and overcome the fears that have found residence in you.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"Fear, at its center, is a perceived loss of control. When life spins wildly, we grab for a component of life we can manage: our diet, the tidiness of our house, the armrest of a plane, or, in many cases, people. The more insecure we feel, the meaner we become" (p.9)


I highly recommend this book! There is a discussion guide at the end of the book that lends itself to small group study.


You can order your copy here.







3 comments:

Debbie C. said...

Wow, this one sounds good. I just ordered another one, but this one will definitely be next for me. I loved the quote about in the storm He has our attention. So true. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

What a timely book - I know that I'm constantly battling people in my life who live in fear, and trying to keep my faith in the midst of it.

(P.S. - I'm JUST about finished with my first book to review. You're leaving me in your dust!)

Rachel said...

It was a great book! I was only able to post so quickly because this one was an e-book. I had to post on Sept. 8 per Thomas Nelson.

I'm working on my third book. It's a pre-released copy. Not available until Sept. 29. I really want to get a copy of "Green" by Ted Dekker before they are out of copies. Not sure if I'll be able to though.

Can't wait for your post!