Wednesday, October 8, 2008

False Responsibility

I'm currently reading Mark Batterson's new book "Wild Goose Chase". It's really good! Chapter 2 is titled "Coming out of the cage of responsibility". That really hit me. This summer I had a friend pray for me about my relentless migraines. She got a word that there was a root of "false responsibility". I do not have to be all things to all people. I do not have to do things just because I think others expect me to. I do not have to be "Super Rachel" (a name some friends have deemed on me). It's a process that I'm walking out. I'm certainly not perfect at it yet. But I know it's what the Father wants for me....and you.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

You are exactly right, Rachel. We all need to be seeking GOD to find out what HE wants us to do. If we are called by God to do it, it will be successful. If we are doing things to please people we will wear ourselves out. Boy Darin and I learned that the hard way a few years ago. We were asked to be community care leaders a few years ago. We were not called but felt bad saying no so we tried it. We had no success. That was when we realized what had happened and learned our lesson well. You are wise to be learning it as well!

Melissa said...

I decided a while ago that while there might be many things I am CAPABLE of doing, they aren't all things I'm CALLED to do.

Priorities!

Amydita said...

Aww...no more Super Rachel :-(
Just kidding! This is a hard lesson for me as well.