Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tales from 1st grade

It' been a long few weeks settling in to a new school and new grade. I have a great group of students. Here are a couple of my favorite stories so far:

* Hanitizer - this is what one of my students (who happens to be OCD) calls hand sanitizer. For some reason the other students have also adopted this term.

* Highlights - one of my students asked me if I have highlights in my hair. I said 'no'. She replied that I should think about getting some to stick in my hair! Thank you fashion police...and you don't exactly "stick" highlights in.

*Peanut Butter crackers - My students take turns bringing in snack for the class. One parent asked if peanut butter crackers would be okay. "Sure, that's great", I said. Well the next day I find a bag of snacks sitting on my desk. I unpack a box of crackers, a jar of peanut butter, and cheese spread! Like I have time to assemble peanut butter crackers! (I'll be more specific next time). BUT being the super teacher that I am I created a lesson plan for this snack activity (they gotta eat. I believe hungry kids can't learn). We're learning about short vowels. I said vowels are the glue (peanut butter) that holds words (crackers)together! Pretty impressive for only being on my first cup of coffee! :)

I'm sure there will be more to come....

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That was an awesome object lesson! I hope your first graders are doing better than mine is - she's having a bit of a "self-control" problem when it comes to talking. Except - she's just talking to herself!

Disruptive, I know, and also a little odd. Today she got into as much trouble as she possibly can without visiting the principal's office!

Needless to say, I've already been on my "prayer bones" about it.

superstarr said...

You go girl!! I'm so impressed with the cracker vowel lesson.

Debbie said...

Way to think on your feet! Teachers are definitely survivors!

Debbie C. said...

You are so smart and yes, hanitizer is definitely needed in school!!

Amydita said...

Cute stories Rach! Wonder if the parent that sent the crackers & pb is reading this? ;-)

Melissa--my niece got in trouble last week for talking to herself in class too--she just started middle school!! Hope your problem doesn't last that long!

stricknine said...

That is so funny, Rhonda and both laughed out loud, I can just see your face when you pulled that jar of peanut butter out of the bag, now that had to be price less!!!