Monday, March 24, 2008

Conquering Crescents

I am a good cook and have successfully made both simple and pretty difficult dishes. There is one thing that I avoid at all costs because my past experiences were so bad.... Crescent Rolls!

Now most people assume my issue is rolling them correctly to make the cute shape. But it's not. The breakdown for me comes way before I get to that stage. You see, I can't even open the can and pull the little triangles apart successfully. If someone does that part I can roll them into the cute little crescent. I have avoided using them for lots of recipes (pigs in a blanket, casseroles, and taco ring). I have been laughed at on many occasions when I attempted to beat my crescent defect.

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to make the Pampered Chef Taco Ring recipe that I love so much. I was having guests over for lunch so there was a lot riding on my successful completion of this mission. So I bought 2 packs of crescents and brought them home. I carefully opened the can and tried very hard to unroll it and pull all the little triangles apart. Well, they weren't all perfect triangles when I finished but I squished the dough back together determined to make it work. The dish came out beautiful and no one was aware the battle I have with the Pillsbury Dough Boy! I haven't completely overcome my crescent issue but I'm on the way to recovery! Next time, they will be triangles.... I hope!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Way to go you brave little chef! If it makes you feel any better, I have never been able to make them look like perfect little triangles. But that is the charm of home-made cooking. It doesn't have to look perfect, just taste great!

Debbie C. said...

Well, thanks for your admission. There is hope and recovery when we are willing to come out of the closet (or pantry) and admit our weaknesses!! HA! I don't think they ever come out perfect, I think they (the Pillsbury people and all those other communist groups out there) want us to fail because then we'll keep buying their products to keep trying to become perfect, which we can never attain anyway; don't you see the conspiracy??? Anyway, glad it turned out, and would love your Taco Ring recipe!!