Saturday, December 1, 2007

Christmas Cards

I love sending Christmas cards every year. It seems to me that people don't take the time to do that much anymore. It's such a simple thing to let people know you are thinking of them and wish them a Merry Christmas. Sometimes it's the only correspondence I have with friends from the past all year.
I keep a Christmas card address list on file so I don't have to look up all the addresses every year. For the past 2 years I have had to take names off the list because the people are no longer with us. Some marriages have ended so I have to change the names. One friend committed suicide. My cousins 3 year old was killed in a boating on Christmas Day. Some have passed on from natural causes. As I was writing cards last year I was saddened to think that next year some of the precious people on the list this year may not be here next year. Life is so short and no one is guaranteed another day or another Christmas. A family I used to go to church with keeps the Christmas cards that are sent to them and prays for the senders of the cards all year (I make sure to send them one 'cause I need all the prayer I can get!). Anyway, last year I decided to print an extra copy of my Christmas list and pray for the people on it throughout the next year. I pray that I do not have to remove names next year because of tragic losses. It is my hope that my list will grow, not shrink. Take time to tell your friends and family how much you love them and how special they are.

2 comments:

Debbie C. said...

So true - I had heard of the idea before of praying for those who send Christmas cards. What a great idea. Makes it all the more worth while. Also, keeps our focus on the real meaning of Christmas, instead of just "getting and getting more". Thanks for the post!!

Debbie P. said...

I agree with you, I love to send Christmas cards. I do not receive many, but I send out as many as I can. I think people think they are too busy but I wish they understood that it is worth our time to bless others. I LOVE your idea for praying over the senders!