Monday, November 19, 2007

Cheesecakes and Traditions

First the cheesecakes: I've made 5 cheesecakes in the past 3 weeks. I made a Pumpkin Toffee Cheesecake for some of the teachers at school to celebrate fall. Plus we love to eat. Then I made Patrice my original recipe Key Lime Cheesecake when she got sick. Last week I decided to try a new recipe and made a Banana Pudding Cheesecake. I wasn't sure what I thought about that combination but I liked it and it got rave reviews at school. This week I have orders for 2 Pumpkin Toffee Cheesecakes. Two of the teachers at school loved it so much they asked if I'd make it for them to take Thanksgiving dinner. I'm a little cheesecaked out right now but 'tis the season. I'm sure there will be many more to come in the next month.

Now the traditions: Several years ago my sister and began creating the perfect Thanksgiving week. This is how it goes:
She's off Monday and Tuesday and cleans her house. I arrive Tuesday night.

Tuesday night we create the menu... some things are standard some new. We always try out one new dessert and make one fail proof dessert. After the menu is created we go to the grocery store (without the kids!)

Wednesday- Breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Then back home to start cooking. We mix all the casseroles, side dishes and make the desserts. Then eat dinner out.


Thursday - Take the food out of the fridge to get it to room temperature. Go to K-mart and shop at 7 Am because they are open. Come home by 10 and begin cooking. Her in-laws arrive and we have a great meal with too much food. Then it's time to scope out the sales papers and make a game plan. Who has what on sale? What time do they open? What do we need? Make a detailed list with all this info.

Friday- Up at 4:30. Out the door by 4:45 0r 5. Shopping ALL day long following the list we made the day before. IHOP for breakfast around 10. Starbuck's anytime we start losing fuel.
Get home around 5 or 6. Maybe go out to dinner. Preferably crash and eat left overs.

Saturday - Send the kids to the basement and have a gift wrapping party. All the gifts bought the day before get wrapped and placed under the tree. Most of the Christmas shopping is done. Occasionly there are a few gifts to still buy. I return home late Staurday for church on Sunday and a much needed rest.


We have this thing down to a science now! We look forward to it all year long. This year neither one of us are feeling great right now but we're determined to get better before the festivities begin. I'll try to take and post pictures of our adventures this year. We are a sight to see!

3 comments:

about me said...

sounds like a great time...St. Arbucks is always great, food is always great...i'm disappointed though...you're missing one of the most important things of all - FOOTBALL!!!

Debbie C. said...

I Love the Plan. WOW, I am so impressed that you have it so fine-tuned. I hope you have an awesome time and I hope you get to feeling better too. Surely all those delicious cheese cakes will get you back to your healthful self real soon. Love you and miss you and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Debbie P. said...

WOW! I too am impressed as to how finely tuned this week is for your family, how fun! Boy I envy those that had a taste of those cheesecakes. You sound so creative! Have a blessed Thanksgiving week and I pray you get better!