I started to title this "Top Ten Worst Worship Songs" however I realized that most songs on my list are not ALL bad. They are just victim to some poor lyric writing. I am not trying to be overly critical .I'm just stating my observations and opinions. I do not write songs because they would probably suck and be on this list. So offer your insights and opinions but don't tell me I'm going to hell because I don't like somebody's worship song. 'KAY
1. "I will not forget you" - the line that says "a huge bell I ring". I don't get it. I understand that ring rhymes with sing but come on...
2. "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever" - I have 2 issues with this one. First of all I COULD do a lot of things...doesn't mean I'm going to. When I lead this one I change it to "I Will". Secondly, "Oh I feel like dancing" ...NO I DON'T! The music does not fit the lyric. I have to give props to my band and especially Larry the drummer from Cathedral of Praise. One day I said "play it so I feel like dancing" and they rocked it out!
3. "In the Secret" - I love this song when it is done slow. The fast version doesn't work for me. "In the secret.. In the quiet place" doesn't work with drums pounding and guitars wailing.
4. "I'll Let My Words be Few" - I really like this song until the end when the worship leader sings "I'll let my words be few" 12 times. After the first 2 or 3 I imagine God saying "I wish you would.." It makes me laugh when I'm singing it.
5. Any song with la,la or na, na... Especially na, na! La, la can be justified that your singing with "a child like faith". Na, Na... not so much.
6. "Worthy Is the Lamb" (Hillsongs) - I received an e-mail from a friend asking about the line "the Darling of Heaven crucified". Some people hate it, some don't care. The jury is still out.
7. "I Feel Like Praising Him" - I didn't used to have an issue with this one. And I really like the song a alot. But one Sunday I was pretty sick and was singing this in the choir and I assure you I didn't feel like praising. My flesh felt like going to bed. My spirit was good with praising. I was caught between the two. I chose to press on and praise because it's what I'm called and created to do... It's not about feelings!
8. "Mercy Is Falling" - I've never loved this song but I would sing it. Then I went to a worship conference in Atlanta. The speaker said they can't sing this song in his neighborhood because of the chorus..."Hey ho I receive your mercy". It was ruined for me. I can't sing it with a straight face.
9 and 10. For those who attended Cathedral of Praise before I became the worship leader... "Feed My Sheep" and "Cain't nobody"- No it's not misspelled. That's how they sang it. And the verse to "Cain't nobody" that goes "not my brother, not my sister/ not my dog and not my cat/ cain't nobody love me like that". I am not making this up. It was used in actual worship sets. Farm animals and household pets should not be included in adult worship songs..EVER!
I'm sure there are more but I'll stop for now. If you've ever wondered what was going through my head while I'm on stage worshipping now you know. Opinions and additions are welcome.